Monday, August 22, 2011

Keeping Count of Apples



So, for those keeping count, here's my total so far:

8 quarts apple pie filling (made w/raw honey)
1 quart + 12 pints applesauce
12 half-pints + 1 pint of apple butter
8 quarts apple pie filling (made w/sugar)
14 pints spiced apple rings
6 12oz spiced apple jelly (made from the syrup from the spiced apple rings)
2 12oz + 3 half pints dutch apple jam
4 12oz + 1 half pint + 1 4oz caramel apple jam
1 quart + 2 pints cinnamon applesauce
4 quarts unfiltered apple juice
4 quarts filtered apple juice

That makes 26 quarts, 29 pints, 12 12oz, 16 half-pints, 1 4oz. Or 1,572 ounces. Or 12.28 GALLONS of apple products.

I still have to do more juicing (my helpers took most of the juice I made!), and probably at least 1 more batch of applesauce. One of my helpers today brought a Ninja blender and it was FANTASTIC for making applesauce! I'm very tempted to replace my several years old basic Oster blender with one of these. Just for comparison, to make applesauce from my blender, I have to add water AND I have to use a wooden spoon to shove the apples down into the blade while it's going. Yes, the Ninja sounds like a good idea. Ha. It also would take up less room than my current setup, and it easier to clean. :)

I also found out today that I will be getting a Kitchenaid Mixer for my birthday!! You could probably mistake my squeals of delight for a 13 year old girl at a Justin Bieber concert. I need to finish getting my kitchen together and make room for my new toys. I mean tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment