Friday, January 21, 2011

Allergy-free frosting revisited


So my son's birthday party is coming up in 3 days. I decided I really should test my healthier chocolate frosting before the day of, to avoid a disaster cake. So I whipped up a batch of gluten-free vanilla cupcakes to frost (because you can't just make frosting! Ok, so you could, but who wants to admit to eating frosting by itself?). I used the recipe from my earlier post (found here), only I made 1/2 the recipe (I ended up with a ton left over last time, and since I'm only doing a dozen cupcakes I didn't need that much). I used sucanat instead of sugar (put through the food processor a few times, but it didn't seem to make a big difference to me) and added 2 tbps of cocoa powder.

The result? FANTASTIC, mostly healthy, allergy-free frosting. And for those that want to see it all laid out in one place, here is the recipe (in original serving size) all put together.

1/2 cup coconut milk (the canned kind, not the sweetened version in the refrigerated section)
2 tbsp flour
1/2 cup sucanat
1/2 cup Spectrum shortening
4 tbsp cocoa powder

I also want to mention that the cupcakes were really good, too! The husband didn't like them too much, but I honestly don't know why not. I thought they were amazing, especially for being gluten-free! Sure, they didn't puff up big like "normal" cupcakes, but the taste was great and they were super moist. Another one for the recipe book. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment