Sunday, February 6, 2011

Homemade Turkey Pot Pie



So I mentioned in my last entry that my husband is about to start a 30 day job, so I've been putting away meals in the freezer. This one was fantastic, and actually really simple (plus my son LOVES to help with the final step in the crusts!)

Pie Crust:
  • 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I ground my own and used hard white)
  • 1 cup Spectrum brand shortening (non-hydrogenated) 
  • 1/2 cup cold water
  • 1/8 tsp sea salt
  • Tupperware container with tight-fitting lid
Put the flour and salt into the tupperware and mix. Then use a pastry cutter to cut in the shortening until it becomes course crumbs. Then add the water. Put the lid on the container and SHAKE (which is the part my son loves to help with). It only takes 2-3 minutes for it to all come together. Divide the dough in two (and try to handle it as little as possible to avoid melting the shortening).

To roll it out, I lightly flour my pastry mat and put the dough on. Then I cover the dough with a sheet of reusable parchment paper and roll on top of it. This keeps the dough sandwiched between the 2. When I get it to the right size, I turn the layers over (pastry mat on top) and peel off the pastry mat. Then I turn it back over to put the crust in the pan and peel the parchment off the top. Makes it easy to transport.

Turkey Pot Pie:

  • 2 pie crusts
  • 2 cups gravy (or broth thickened with cornstarch)
  • 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
  • leftover turkey (aprox. 2 cups but use whatever you have) 
Line 9" pie plate with the first crust. Fill with gravy, meat, and vegetables. Put second crust on top and seal. Cut slits in the top to let steam escape. Put in the over at 350 (I always put the pie plate on a cookie sheet because it's been known to overflow at times) for an hour.

In my case, I used frozen turkey I had leftover from my last turkey cooking spree. This is an easy recipe to double and have one pie for dinner and one to stick in the freezer. :) I usually thaw mine for 2 days or so in the fridge before cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment