Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Baby Quilt

I have yet to come up with a "name" for this quilt, but I'm waiting for the perfect one, so for the moment it's just being called the baby quilt. I finished it Monday after months of on and off work. I've never quilted before, but I've had this plan for awhile now, and my mother-in-law recently purchased this nifty thing that cuts your quilt pieces out for you, so I decided it was nice. She's been quilting up a storm, but I'm been working on this on and off. I had a diaper order I had to fill in the middle, and then it was too hot upstairs to work. I finally moved the machine downstairs and got it finished. I'm really proud.

Each square was made either directly from baby clothes my kids wore, or leftover fabric from outfits or diapers I made them myself. I used the quilt-as-you-go method, which was interesting, but I'm not sure if I'll opt for that method again or not. If I do, I'll definitely doing it differently as I learned a lot in the process. Green sashing and the yellow backing were from sheets purchased at Goodwill (we only use the fitted sheets on our beds, so the flat sheets were just lying around). Batting used was a fleece blanket MIL bought at a yard sale for $.50. The border was a shower curtain she either bought at a yard sale or Goodwill. So everything on the quilt is recycled. The only expense I had was the printable fabric for doing the picture blocks in the corners, and that was expensive! $14.99 for 6 pages.

All the finished squares laid out before adding sashing

Close-up of the youngest's photo square

Close-up of the oldest's photo square

Sashing complete, waiting on border

Youngest peeking out from the completed quilt

Complete!

The back

No comments:

Post a Comment